Fornames: Charlotte ELISABETH Helene
Address: Södragatan 5
The ÅLAND Islands
Nationality: Finnish and Swedish Date of Birth: March 7, 1952
Telephone: Home: + 358 18 15893
Office: + 358 9 4323047
Mobile: + 358 50 5121984
Fax: + 358 18 19771
E-mail: Home: email@example.com
Academic background: Master of Law (Jur kand.), Uppsala University, Sweden (1978), Diploma in French and Finnish Language, Uppsala University, Sweden (1978)
Languages: Swedish and Norwegian (mother tongues); English, French, German, Serbo-Croatian, Finnish and Spanish
– Jan. 1979 – May 1983: Secretary at the Law Drafting Committee, Government of the Åland Islands, served on the Committee to issuing the first stamps of Åland
– May 1983 – Aug. 1985: Deputy Secretary to the Parliament of the Åland Islands. (Secretary to Committees of Finance and Culture
– Aug. 1985 – May 1993 & Sep. 1996 – Jun. 1999: Secretary General of the Åland Delegation to the Nordic Council
– May 1993 – Jul. 1996: Peace-keeping assignment with United Nations/DPKO in the former Yugoslavia:
– May 1993 – Feb. 1994: Civil Affairs Officer (Legal Officer, UNPROFOR (United Nations Protection Forces), Sector South HQ, Knin (Croatia).
– Mar. 1994 – Jul. 1995: UNPROFOR-HQ, Zagreb; carried out tasks and functions as Humanitarian Affairs Officer, Special Assistant to Head of Civil Affairs Sergio Vieira de Mello, and Civil Affairs Representative to Croatia Command.
– Aug. 1995 – Jan. 1996: Senior Political Affairs Officer, UNCRO-HQ, (United Nations Confidence Restoration Operation), Zagreb.
– Jan. 1996 – July 1996: Senior Civil Affairs Officer, UNTAES (United Nations Transitional Administration for Eastern Slavonia), Zagreb and Vukovar (Croatia).
– July 1999 – Mar.2007: Head of Administration to the Government of the Åland Islands.
– Mar. 2007 – Mar. 2011: Member of Parliament of Finland, Swedish Parliamentary Group. Elected as the representative of the Åland Islands to the Parliament of Finland. Member of the Constitutional Law Committee, and Foreign Affairs Committee, special representative of the Åland Islands in the Grand Committee (EU Affairs) and deputy member of the Finnish Delegation to the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly. Chairman of the parliament’s friendship group to France.
– March 2011 – : Member of Parliament of Finland, Swedish Parliamentary Group. Elected as the representative of the Åland Islands to the Parliament of Finland. Member of the Constitutional Law Committee and the Employment and Equality Committee of Parliament, and special representative of the Åland Islands in the Grand Committee (EU Affairs). Deputy member of the Finnish Delegation to the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly, chairman of the parliament’s Human Rights Group (2013- present), and chairman of the parliament’s friendship group to France.
– Headed commission and published report on the establishing of a Peace Institute in the Åland Islands, 1988
– Member of the Committee on the preparation of the EES (European Economic Space) protocol for the Åland Islands 1991-1993
– Chair of the Research Council of the Åland Peace Institute 1993-1995
– Member of the Board of Ålands Ömsesidiga Försäkringsbolag (Insurance Company) 1999-
– Member of the Board of Statistics and Research Åland 2000- 2003
– Honorary Consul of France to the Åland Islands 2000-2007
– Participated and completed the 161st Finnish Defense Course (2001)
– Crisis Management Centre, Kuopio. CRT Refreshers Workshop 3-5th November 2009.
– The Finnish National Opera, board of trustees 2007-
– Member of Finnish UNIFEM Executive Committee 2009-2011
– Member of Finland’s UN WOMEN Executive Committee 2011-2014
– Member of CRT (Civilian Response Team) since 2009
– Ordre National du Merité (officier) 2009
– Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Légion d’Honneur 2013
– Participated as resource person and presented papers on minority and autonomy issues and island-specific challenges at international conferences and seminars
– As Head of the Administration organized and participated in seminars resulting in publications on the Åland autonomy, among others:
- 1999, Palais des Nations, Geneva, “The Åland Islands: An Inspiration for Contemporary Crisis Management” (the Åland Government and the Permanent Mission of Finland in cooperation with the United Nations Office).
- 2000, Swedish Parliament, Stockholm, “Autonomy as a Conflict-solving Mechanism” (the Åland Government, the Embassy of Finland and the Swedish Foreign Ministry in cooperation with the Åland Peace Institute).
- 2001, United Nations HQ, New York, “Autonomy – An Alternative to Secession? The Åland Islands as an Example for Peaceful Governance.” ( the Åland Government and the Permanent Mission of Finland)
- 2002, European Parliament, Brussels, “Autonomies in the European Union: The Special Case of the Åland Islands” (the Åland Government and the Permanent Representation of Finland)